Sunday 4 December 2011

Christmas is Coming!



"Christmas is coming!" says Abigail each day! And it is coming indeed. We put our Christmas tree up at the end of November and have started playing Christmas hymns through the days. I have posted off presents and cards to all our family overseas and out of state (which is nearly all of you!). And now I'm turning my thoughts to making Christmas goodies (Jonathan has requested White Christmas and Chocolate Balls; I'm still picking my gluten and dairy free treats to make).

Christmas feels exciting this year. Now that the girls (Abigail particularly) are able to engage in the celebrations somewhat, the meaning of the season is coming alive again; being able to teach them about the coming of Jesus and the love of God represented in Christmas is exciting! The message feels fresh again. I love the little children's books I've picked up to read to them - simple and colourful, yet so full! I look forward to seeing what Christmas traditions we establish as Abigail and Sarah become older.

And of course, Christmas is about families coming together. This is a little tricky when they're mostly overseas, so it was really exciting to find a bunch of family videos from my family on a flash drive that was sent to us recently. The girls love watching their NZ Grandad and Grandma, and their NZ aunties and uncles talking to them. I enjoy watching them too - so thankful for the technology that helps close the distance. I have made a photo board with all our family on it. Abigail loves to look at it and name everyone (given that she has 9 uncles, that's pretty impressive!).

As for the girls, Abigail currently loves drawing. She spends a lot of time sitting at the desk or table scribbling away - she comes downstairs first thing and draws and asks to draw as I tuck her into bed at night :)

 
Sarah is currently loving her ability to walk - she walks up and down the house all the time. Gone is the spider crawl of hers that I did so love! Crawling is out, walking and climbing is in. Sarah is also into the book stage now; it's very cute watching her snuggle in with a book.

 Jonathan has been working a few gigs the past couple of weekends so we look forward to having time together this weekend. We will be celebrating Sarah's first birthday and our 3rd anniversary - Sizzlers here we come!

I went to a mum's pamper morning on the weekend. It was nice to be able to sit and talk without having to keep an eye on the girls (Jonathan took them Christmas shopping). I got my nails painted (and blinged!) and had a shoulder massage. Never got the coveted facial, but I did get a surprise letter from my husband which made me laugh and feel very special and loved. And he even brought a mango smoothie with extra mango with him when he picked me up - yum! I had forgotten to pack some gluten free food for the morning, oops; had been too focused on making sure I had enough snacks packed for the girls, so the smoothie was much appreciated!

May the joy and delights of the coming season be yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment