Sunday 11 March 2012

"..we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope." (Romans 5:2-4 NIV)

I've been struggling somewhat recently with the constancy of the kids (and housework!). No breaks. No escape. No family around. It has been a busy time and the girls have seemed particularly demanding and whiny. I have been trying to come up with 'solutions', but God has been showing me that my solutions aren't the, well, solution. My getting away from/escaping the 'hard' situations won't make them go away or suddenly make me able to deal with them better. They'd wait for me. And I wouldn't be any stronger to deal with them. Jonathan and I read those verses from Romans last night and they struck me; it's a passage I've read so many times in the past, but this time I saw it through 'mummy eyes'. My struggles with being a mum at times, will produce character in me if I persevere through them and see them as opportunities to grow. It is in those moments of struggle that I am to look to God, my helper, to help me through, and so hopefully become more God-like.

"Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always." (Psalm 105:4 NIV)


"From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I." (Psalm 61:2 NIV)


Further along in our Romans reading it talked about not letting sin rule in our bodies: "Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires." (6v12) With 'mummy eyes' on, this meant not letting a bad mood or tiredness rule me, snapping and grumping at my family. When I do so, I'm walking in sin. Instead, I am to consciously offer myself to God as an instrument of righteousness (v13). Instead of snapping at and brushing the girls away, I am to practice:
love,
    patience,
          kindness,
                 gentleness,
                         and self-control towards them.

Some of you think that being a mum is natural to me - that I have the personality for it, etc. I laugh at that (I think that you probably are too now!). Gentleness and patience are not my strong points; being a mum has helped me work on that, but also shows up how much more 'work' on those areas I have to go. I am not a natural mum or a super mum. I am a mum  - and, with God's help, I am seeking to be a (more) godly one.






No comments:

Post a Comment