Saturday 8 October 2011

The week, my girls, and the rugby

This week was a funny week. It started well, and it's ended well, but there were some 'bad' days in the middle. My poor kids had a grumpy mother for a couple of days who wanted them to go away (terrible mother, I know :( ) or for her hubby, or mum, or sisters to be at home with her (oh to just 'hang' out!). A Daily Light reading from this week had the verse:
"Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why are thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, [who is] the health of my countenance, and my God."
I was reminded of my need to CHOOSE to look to God in such times, and to praise Him for all He has done for me - not to let my circumstances or emotions to govern my attitude. But I failed to do it. The same Daily Light reading held the verse:
"For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee."
So as I wrote earlier in the week, I am thankful for new starts - that God, through Jesus Christ's sacrifice for us on the cross, wipes our 'slate' clean.



Sarah is working on standing unsupported at present. And she's busy adding a few more teeth to her current four. I often marvel at what a happy chappy she is - (for the most part) she is such a delight!


She loves her food. Except sandwiches. She won't eat sandwiches (!?). But she loves her veggies - I had her sitting inside the trolley while I did the fruit and vege shopping recently and looked down to find her eating through the bag of tomatoes (plastic and all!). When that was removed she promptly seized the tray of cucumbers. Once all fruit and veges were rescued from her and I had put her back in the trolley seat, (demoting a disappointed Abigail) the offered jam sandwich was decidedly spurned. The above photo is of her after her evening meal one night. Sarah feeds herself for most meals - I put the food on the spoon and she gets it in her mouth. Or all over her face and through her hair. Meat, something that has become increasingly rarer in our house (quite unnoticed by Jonathan until I asked if he had noticed) is also something which she loves - or at least it disappears off her tray quickly without being later found in her chair or on the floor!


This is Abigail's 'cheese' face :) The drink is an avacado smoothie - something we've enjoyed lots lately (10 avacado disappeared in one week! I had gotten them on clearance very cheap). (Recipe at the end of this post.) Abigail continues to expand her vocabulary and chatters away a lot. Sometimes too much. Sometimes much too loudly. But we are very proud of her. It is really incredible watching the mind-mouth connections as she finds new words and seeing her work out how to say what she wants to say.

Something Abigail has enjoyed lately is getting her own little "cup tea". I was sent some delicious herbal tea from my friend Joanna in England, and Abigail has decided she likes it (after finding some cold leftovers in my cup). It has been very cute watching her sipping on her (lukewarm) 'organic fennel, chicory, & cardamon' tea - very ladylike. Tea parties might not be very far away!


And as most of you know (and probably watched), the World Cup Quarter Final game between Australia and South Africa was on this afternoon. (As I type this, there are about 9 minutes of play left). If you didn't watch it, you'll just have to ask my girls afterwards who won :)


Now, here's that milkshake recipe:

1/2 avacado
1 1/2 cups chosen milk (can do half/half with water, or all water)
1 t vanilla
1 dst honey
ice (optional)

Blend. Can also add cocoa (1 T), cinnamon (1/2-1tsp), or other chosen flavouring. The avacado makes it thick and creamy. Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment