Thursday 14 April 2011

Peanut butter and bulk buying!

I read so much about co-ops for bulk buying but had no idea how to join/find one or if they even existed this side of the equator! But recently one of Jonathan's work mates sent round an email about buying bulk nuts through her. When I ordered some almonds she asked if I wanted the full product list - did I ever! So I now have 5kg of black beans, 5kg of kidney beans, 5kg of green lentils, 2kg of almonds, and 3kg of peanuts sitting in my kitchen!

I bought the peanuts to try and make my own peanut butter as it is something I've started to use a lot, and at $2.95 a jar for Sanitarium's natural peanut butter I thought I'd look up how to make my own. And it is really very simple! I made my first lot last night. TIP: Make sure you thoroughly roast your raw nuts first! Half raw peanut butter doesn't taste too great so I am using it to make peanut butter biscuits. I shall have fully roasted nuts sometime by the end of today and tomorrow I will try again. TIP 2: don't use olive oil. Try and get peanut oil. I'm going to give coconut oil a go first as I have that on hand and I think it might add a nice sweetness to the butter. Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

  1. how do you make peanut butter?
    Good on you for doing this blog, I'm looking forward to learning more.

    Thats a lot of beans. what do you do with the black beans

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mum, I just processed roasted peanuts (unsalted) with some coconut oil (supposed to use peanut oil) until it became peanut buttery. Mine isn't completely smooth - probably had to keep it processing longer. A recipe I came across says to use about 1T oil per 1 1/2 cups peanuts, but I didn't actually measure anything. Add more oil if it doesn't moist enough.

    I use black beans mostly in chilli and for flourless brownies. Can put them in pasta dishes or in salads, make dips, make burger patties - Very versatile little bean! They're good with mince as they mush down into it and make it stretch further, so you can use less meat while adding fibre and nutrients. I soak them overnight and then cook them in the pressure cooker (just bring it to pressure and turn it off); I cook lots and freeze what I'm not using straight away.

    ReplyDelete