Friday 15 June 2012


My belly is certainly popping out now, and the kicks are becoming more regular! My bump is already as big as it was when I was about 23 weeks pregnant with Abigail or 20 weeks with Sarah, so definitely noticing the changes between subsequent pregnancies! My midwife appointment earlier in the week was long but straightforward, and I got to hear baby's heartbeat at the end (a healthy 150 beats/minute).

Today's plans all changed at 6:30am this morning when Jon received a few SOS texts from a man he works some gigs with, so instead of going to a men's breakfast at church this morning, he is in Ipswich hauling sound gear around. And instead of going out for some time to myself, I am doing the usual: child-minding/raising and housework! I have been told to think of something special to do tomorrow (either alone or together) so any ideas welcome!

Both girls are on the upside of their colds. Sarah only had a touch of a snotty nose, but Abigail is certainly making sure we're going through the tissues! All in all, a mild cold. I have tried to cut most dairy and sugar from their diet to help and it seems to have (dairy is mucous forming; sugar suppresses the immune system). And I've had batches of sauerkraut fermenting continually in my kitchen recently as we are going through it quickly - both girls and I like it, and it's great for immune and digestive systems. And cabbage is getting cheap again (supposed to be the most nutrient dense vegetable for price)! In my sauerkraut making experience, I've learnt to make sure the cabbage is weighted down well - it needs to have enough liquid brine covering it to keep all air out (otherwise it just tastes rotten and that's not very nice!). I follow this recipe. Another batch will be on my kitchen bench before the day is out (once bottled, it'll keep a good 6 months in the fridge - theoretically. My first batch only lasted a few days thanks to us!).

Over time I've had lots of gluten free baking flops, so I have made an effort recently to stop experimenting and pick a few reliable recipes to make. I have been making lots of this gluten/dairy/refined sugar free Date and Walnut Bread. I cut a loaf in thirds and freeze it, then pull out some when I want it. And I've switched back to making my own bread (yeast free recipes so I don't have to rise it first) in the oven as the bread maker wasn't proving reliable in it's outcome (gluten free bread is somewhat temperamental - even humidity levels affect it). Jonathan has been enjoying a fruit cake spiel; he has asked for coffee cake next so if you have a good recipe for one (it doesn't need to be anything-free, just a normal recipe) please share!

I sat down this week and made a rotating workout schedule for the rest of the year/pregnancy (if you use Google Calenders, I can share it with you). Here's another little workout (3minutes 51 seconds) I've come across for your triceps - you just need a chair/couch (if you can do it non-stop I think you're amazing; I have to take breaks throughout). I do it after my push-ups workout (I've been following the 100 Push-ups programme - I'm up to doing 8 proper push-ups at once. I don't expect to progress any further while my tummy grows, but hopefully I can maintain that number). It's always nice to have some little workouts up your sleeve for when you're tired or pressed for time.

And to end I will leave you with some pictures of the girls during water play this week. Abigail can now squeeze the hose handle and so I let her water my garden for me, then I put some detergent in a bucket and they play happily out in the sun. Washing each other's hair seems to be the favourite game (despite Abigail making a big fuss when we wash her hair!).







No comments:

Post a Comment